Whitley County Jail, COLUMBIA CITY, IN
The Whitley County Commissioners’ goal was to update the county jail’s HVAC, building automation, and lighting system. The other objective was to secure as much money through grants and interest free bonds as possible.
The HVAC renovation of the Whitley County jail was performed by ECS Midwest to reduce operating cost, increase energy efficiency, and replace equipment that had passed its useful life. The energy conservation measures implemented are projected to provide up to a 20% annual energy savings. Additionally, by working together with the state and federal government, ECS Midwest was able to secure the grants needed to perform all of the HVAC, building automation, and lighting retrofits needed without affecting the county’s annual budget.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
ECS Midwest provided grant-writing services in order to obtain a $387,409 grant to be used toward the installation of HVAC, control, and lighting systems.
ECS Midwest provided a range of services including:
- A lighting retrofit of the jail was performed to replace inefficient T12 lamps and magnetic ballast with T8 lamps and electronic ballast. A reflector kit was added to increase light output and quality.
- The existing chilled water pumps were replaced.
- The existing failed compressor of the chiller was replaced.
- The existing air-handling unit’s standard efficiency supply fan and return fan motors were replaced with high-efficiency motors.
- The exhaust fan systems serving the jail were updated and replaced with high-efficiency motors.
- The existing pneumatic temperature control system serving the jail was updated with a Direct Digital Control Temperature system that is web based for remote access. The temperature control replacement includes:
- New DDC controllers, sensors and peripheral devices for HVAC 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, and 11. The existing pneumatic actuation was reused. Demand ventilation utilizing CO2 sensing shall be provided.
- New DDC controllers and peripheral devices for the central heating and cooling plant.
Whitley County is located in northeast Indiana about twenty miles west of Fort Wayne. Its population is about 35,000, and the county seat, Columbia City, was founded in 1838.